- Vincent Van GoghThe Mediterranean has the color of mackerel, changeable I mean. You don't always know if it is green or violet, you can't even say it's blue, because the next moment the changing reflection has taken on a tint of rose or gray.
- Harriet Van HorneThere are days when any electrical appliance in the house, including the vacuum cleaner, seems to offer more entertainment than the TV set.
- Van MorrisonMusic is spiritual. The music business is not.
- Cornelius VanderbiltYou have undertaken to cheat me. I won't sue you, for the law is too slow. I'll ruin you.
- marquis de Luc de Clapiers VauvenarguesThe greatest evil which fortune can inflict on men is to endow them with small talents and great ambition.
- Thorstein VeblenIn itself and in its consequences the life of leisure is beautiful and ennobling in all civilised men's eyes.
- Gore VidalFor half a century photography has been the "art form" of the untalented. Obviously some pictures are more satisfactory than others, but where is credit due? to the designer of the camera? To the finger on the button? tso the law of averages?
- Leonardo da VinciOur life is made by the death of others.
Just as courage imperils life, fear protects it.
- VirgilThe spirit within nourishes, and mind instilled throughout the living parts activates the whole mass and mingles with the vast frame.
- VoltaireIt is not sufficient to see and to know the beauty of a work. We must feel and be affected by it.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
(topic: censorship and free speech)
Friendship is the marriage of the soul, and this marriage is liable to divorce.
Love has features which pierce all hearts, he wears a bandage which conceals the faults of those beloved. He has wings, he comes quickly and flies away the same.
One day everything will be well, that is our hope.
Everything's fine today, that is our illusion.
If we do not find anything very pleasant, at least we shall find something new.
Divorce is probably of nearly the same date as marriage. I believe, however, that marriage is some weeks the more ancient.
- Kurt VonnegutWhat should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.