- Never seem wiser, nor more learned, than the people you are with. Wear your learning, like your watch, in a private pocket: and do not merely pull it out and strike it; merely to show that you have one.
- Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well.
- Men, as well as women, are much oftener led by their hearts than by their understandings.
- I am convinced that a light supper, a good night's sleep, and a fine morning, have sometimes made a hero of the same man, who, by an indigestion, a restless night, and rainy morning, would have proved a coward.
- I recommend to you to take care of the minutes; for hours will take care of themselves.