- Beauty deprived of its proper foils and adjuncts ceases to be enjoyed as beauty, just as light deprived of all shadows ceases to be enjoyed as light.
- All books are divisible into two classes, the books of the hour, and the books of all time.
- The purest and most thoughtful minds are those which love colour the most.
- Of all the things that oppress me, this sense of the evil working of nature herself--my disgust at her barbarity--clumsiness--darkness--bitter mockery of herself--is the most desolating.
- Not only is there but one way of doing things rightly, but there is only one way of seeing them, and that is, seeing the whole of them.