- Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.
- Life's like a play: it's not the length, but the excellence of the acting that matters.
- That moderation which nature prescribes, which limits our desires by resources restricted to our needs, has abandoned the field; it has now come to this--that to want only what is enough is a sign both of boorishness and of utter destitution.
- The heart is great which shows moderation in the midst of prosperity.
- Night brings our troubles to the light, rather than banishes them.
- Even after a bad harvest there must be sowing.
- True praise comes often even to the lowly; false praise only to the strong.
- We often want one thing and pray for another, not telling the truth even to the gods.